by Amy Ewing
* To build a new future, she must destroy her past.
* The best way to get between the circles of the city is to hide in plain sight.
* I want to hold on to this morning tightly, to imprint it in my brain, a talisman against whatever darkness the future holds… In this moment, I am safe and alive, and surrounded by friends.
* There are bigger things at stake here than personal struggles.
* Jealousy is a petty emotion. It pollutes the mind. It makes you rash.
* Not all choices result in what we want, or even what we expect.
* Some things are bigger than just one person.
* You showed us what really mattered. You changed us both.
by Amy Ewing (HarperCollinsPublishers, 2015)
- We all have things we are ashamed of.
- It’s not the outside of these circles that count. They have hidden hearts, all of them.
- If I can do anything to make a single life even a little better, isn’t that worth it?
- Everything in this world has a life inside it. Everything is connected. Human beings, we think we’re so special because we can talk and think, as if having a mouth is the only way to speak, or having a brain is the only way to think.
- … just a pack of idealistic morons, and we’ll live like cockroaches under a rock for the rest of our damned lives.
- Nature is unselfish. It only wishes to survive… Nature is always searching for balance.
- She wants someone to care about her, to like her best. Her own mother refused to stay alive for her. Those sorts of scars don’t heal easily.
by Amy Ewing
HarperCollins Publishers, 2014
* I love sunrises, even more than sunsets. There’s something so exciting about the world coming to life in a thousand colors.
* Once to see it as it is. Twice to see it in your mind. Thrice to bend it to your will.
* I am so glad I get this tiny slice of time… I get this one last moment with my sister.
* There is so much love around this table that it is tangible – a real, pulsing, living thing.
* A good meal could ease a troubled heart.
* Getting old is a terrible thing.
* Title does not protect you from everything.
* Men cannot be trusted. You are lucky you will never have to discover that for yourself.
* Hope is a precious thing… And yet, we don’t really appreciate it until it’s gone.
* I know the pain of obeying an order that every part of you screams to resist.
* Greatness is never achieved easily.
* It would be easier if I could hate you. But the sad truth is, I will more likely love you for the rest of my life.
* The power to choose comes with a price.