Meaningful lines from
HarperCollins Publishers, USA 2000
- … you shouldn’t believe in promises. The world is full of them: promises of riches, of eternal salvation, of infinite love. Some people think they can promise anything, others accept whatever seems to guarantee better days ahead… Those who make promises they don’t keep end up powerless and frustrated, and exactly the same fate awaits those who believe those promises.
- … men take the oddest satisfaction in feeling superior, without knowing that most of the time they are being utterly predictable.
- …there were two things that prevent us from achieving our dreams: believing them to be impossible or seeing those dreams made possible by some sudden turn of the wheel of fortune, when you least expected it. For at that moment, all our fears suddenly surface: the fear of setting off along a road heading who knows where, the fear of a life full of new challenges, the fear of losing forever everything that is familiar.
- People want to change everything and, at the same time, want it all to remain the same.
- … the best way to weaken one’s enemy was to get him to believe that you were on his side.
- … of all the days in our life, which is the one that never comes? Tomorrow.
- If even God has a hell, which is his love for mankind, then any man has his hell within easy reach, and that’s his love for his family.
- … the story of one man is the story of all men.
- … it isn’t the desire to abide by the law that makes everyone behave as society requires, but the fear of punishment.
- … everything that had happened to him had a purpose, which was to show that each person’s destiny is preordained.
- The devil was worried, but resolved to keep quiet – he could not show that he too was terrified. The man was blaspheming against God and trying to justify his actions, but this was the first time in two years he had heard him addressing the heavens. It was a bad sign.
- False information can lead to all kinds of confusion.
- It’s a desire for vengeance that can never be satisfied, because it’s directed against life itself.
- Man needs what’s worst in him in order to achieve what’s best in him.
- Men who have nothing to lose never give a thought for eternal life.
- Do what your heart commands and God will be happy.
- Evil had to manifest itself and fulfill is role, so that ultimately Good could prevail. If there was no betrayal, there could be no cross, the words of the scriptures would not be fulfilled, and Jesus’ sacrifice could not serve as an example.
- If you want to control someone, all you have to do is to make that person feel afraid.
- … with age, people come to realize that death is inevitable. And we need to learn to face it with serenity, wisdom and resignation. Death often frees us from a lot of senseless suffering.
- Anyone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is wasting his time.
- It was all a matter of control. And choice. Nothing more and nothing less.
- … life can seem either very long or very short, according to how you live it.